Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Running...Sigh

I ran my first 10k race on May 26th.  I hadn't even considered doing one until I heard a girl from church talk about signing up.  I've run in multiple 5k's over the years, but this sounded like it would be a challenge but still possible with the limited time I have to devote to exercise right now.  I had already been doing 2 miles 3 times a week, so I researched a training schedule and got started.


I don't love running.  I love how I feel afterward.  And I love that it has helped me loose the baby weight from the last two kids that didn't budge even an ounce until I got on the treadmill.  But I really don't love running.  I'm to the point now that I feel good the first mile and half or so and everything after that is pure pushing myself.  Running the 10K was just as much a mental game as a physical one because I felt like I had to talk myself into every step after that initial mile and a half.  When I run at home I listen to the radio, but what was funny about running outside was that a song from one of those Chirstmas claymation videos kept repeating in my mind, "Put one foot in front of the other and soon you'll be walking out the do-o-or!"  I like it in the movie but in my head for the last 4 miles got slightly annoying.  My finish was 1:03:46 which was faster than I had been training, so that was a pleasant surprise.

After the race I bought some 'running' shoes.  How's that for backward?!  I developed a very sore spot on the ball of my left foot when I started running the longer distances and I'm hoping the better shoes will help clear that up.  Now my friend from church is trying to talk me into a 10k trail run.  What's odd is that even though I don't love it, I find myself craving a good run now.  I guess we could label it a love/hate relationship.

No comments: