Porter was one of 31 students who has attended Barrett Elementary since kindergarten and graduated from there this year. It's been 'home' for a long time. But now it's time to say goodbye. Barrett truly lives up to it's motto, "It's All About Kids". Porter has been so blessed with each one of his teachers and there were more than a couple years when he came home with tears on the last day because he didn't want to leave his teacher.
Because of the Barrett Academy pilot program this year, they did a special separate graduation for just his 5th grade class. I have to say, it was a bit over the top, but that is how a lot of things are in this program. Not neccessarily bigger, but different--more energy, more passion, more magic as they like to call it.
The kids did their dancing processional into the high school auditorium to the "I'm Happy" song and I must say I will never be able to listen to that song the same way again. It was priceless! I couldn't get a good shot of Porter, but the rest of the Barrett Academy students came in afterward and here's Andrew jamming out!
The most inspiring parts were listening to the kids who gave speeches in front of this entire group, telling how the rigors of Barrett Academy have changed them. They're more comfortable talking to adults, they are better at public speaking, they are better leaders. We can't thank these teachers enough! And we are so proud of Porter:-)
Porter and his awesome teacher, Mr. Reichard. Such a humble 24 year old man, but such a motivating and amazing teacher!
All of us with the 'celebrity' teacher.
Muna and Papa with the graduate.
And here we are 10 days later at the 5th grade promotion for the whole school. Porter got the scholar award for his class.
Another wonderful night for our wonderful boy!
1 comment:
that's pretty awesome!!! Way to go Porter, and you Elizabeth because I am sure you did more than just provide support
Post a Comment