Friday, May 24, 2013

Little Leo

I guess we should have expected this little guy to arrive late. Porter had been late, Andrew early, Jane late, Adam early-he was just following the pattern. But since Adam had come 2 weeks early, I felt 2 weeks over due by the time my due date rolled around. Thank goodness my Mom was here those last few days before Leo arrived to help fill in the wait time with some fun:) I was however, very thankful when I finally started feeling some strong back labor one night before dinner. I knew immediately that this was going to be the night since I only get those kind of contractions when I'm 'in labor'. They were only coming every 20-30 minutes so we had dinner and cleaned up, but I got kind of antsy to get to the hospital since all of my labors have been 4-6 hours. Aaron and I headed up about 8pm. I felt kind of silly not being in immense pain yet but I have always wished that I had gotten to the hospital sooner with my other labors, so we checked in despite the doubtful looks from all the nurses. I was only dilated to 3 at that point and the contractions were still sporadic, so the doctor had me walk for about an hour and a half. With not much change, they decided to send me home which was very discouraging since I knew 'something' was happening. The nurse brought in the discharge papers at 11pm and no sooner had she left the room than I had a very strong contraction. I reluctantly got dressed and we walked out to the parking lot, all the while having contractions every 3-5 minutes. We got on the freeway and about half was home we turned around and went back since the contractions were getting stronger and continued to be close together. We checked back in with approving looks from the nurses this time since I looked like I was in pain. In that hour I had dilated to a 6, so they got me an epidural and a few hours later on April 6th, at 3:46am with 2 big pushes Leo Roger Kulbeth arrived.
He weighed 8lbs. 6oz. and was 21.5 inches long. The doctor commented immediatley on how wiggly he was. Both mine and Aaron's moms had been able to come up and be with us (the second time) and we were grateful to have them there. After each time giving birth I always think how special labor and delivery nurses should feel to be involved in the arrival of new life, after new life, after new life. It must be amazing!


Aaron brought the kids up the next day and they each enjoyed some snuggle time with new baby brother-everybody but Adam that is. Considering how we didn't know what to expect from him, he stayed home with Grandma and Grandpa. Adam and Leo had their introductions the next day when I came home, where we could control things a little easier.

Porter had even made a "We love baby Leo" shirt with a little duck on it for the occasion.




And introducing the man they all look like....drum roll...DADDY! It's a good thing he's a great looking guy!

2 comments:

sue said...

Don't you just wish the nurses would listen to you, it is your 5th kid and all. You are a trooper 3:45 am holy smokes lady!!!

Ginger said...

My brother is thinking of naming his next one "Leo" too. I think it's funny because his next oldest is Adam. Your Leo sure is a cutie. I like Porter's shirt. Sweet big bro.