Too often, I do a lot of judging based on 'a picture'. A picture captures one single moment in time-one facial expression, one outfit, one look, a very small glimpse, to say the least. So why do I assume that one picture represents it all? "That family must have a lot of money. They are always so stylish. That couple is so affectionate. Their kids are so happy and they don't pick their noses. They are so in shape. That hair is so perfect." On and on and on...why do I let myself make those assumptions so readily? A picture doesn't show the physical and emotional challenges individuals in a family face. It doesn't capture the imperfect relationships and bad days that exsist in any 'normal' family. It doesn't show the strain of disagreements and the insecurities of filling roles that we don't have guidebooks for. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer. Life is good and I love a good family photo-yours and mine! I guess the real issue lies in my head and my own need NOT to compare myself with others that appear to live so perfectly. I'm very pleased with the snapshots we took recently. I think I just need to realize that, like me, everyone is working toward becoming the happy family reflected in their picture.
Wednesday, October 22, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Will you feel better if I send you some pictures of what my life REALLY looks like? Hope you like dirty dishes! I know what you mean though. It is easy to compare yourself to others and get discouraged because you know all the muck in your life and none of their's.
Your family always looks like the perfect family to me.
Post a Comment