So apparently Leo is allergic to amoxicillin. We found this out bright and early on Father's Day! Leo is always the first one up, usually around 6:30am. When I changed his diaper that morning this is what my poor baby looked like. I had seen just a couple red dots by his knees the night before and I assumed they were mosquito bites, being summer and all. Then I did some more assuming and figured he probably had contracted another rash on top of the ear infection he was being treated for, since this was the exact scenario we had had the previous month-ear infection and hand-foot-mouth disease. Since he wasn't in any noticeable pain, we made Daddy's blueberry muffins while we waited for the urgent care to open. I fed him some breakfast and gave him his morning dose of amoxicillin. Then we were off. Little did I know that an allergic reaction doesn't necessarily happen the first time someone is introduced to it. He had been on it at least once before.
By the time we got checked in he was starting to get fidgety and fussy. The doctor took one look at him and said he was definitely having an allergic reaction and that they had some steroids for him. By the time they came in with the steroids Leo's welts had spread and were bright, bright red...and on top of that he was screaming bloody murder. He was squirming like he wanted me to put him down but cried harder when I tried to do that. It was awful to say the least and even worse was the guilt knowing I had brought this upon him--unknowingly, but still! They also gave him some benadryl and about 10 minutes later he finally calmed down and fell asleep in my arms. I sat down in one of those comfy doctor office chairs and was afraid to move for the next 30 minutes while they kept us for observation and I had a bruise on my back for the next week to prove it. When they were convinced he was going to keep breathing they sent us home. Since it had been a traumatic morning and we didn't want to cause panic with what he looked like, my Mom stayed home from church with him.
Here he is the next day all puffy-not sure if this was still reaction to the antibiotic or the steroid. Plus his skin is still sensitive, getting red and puffy whenever he brushes against something or rubs his eyes or whatever. Even 2 & 1/2 weeks later-not sure if it will ever go away! That's our question for next week's 15 month well check.
No more amoxicillin for this raccoon!
3 comments:
but he is still SO cute!!! I bet that was a scary morning. Hope it never happens again.
Sad! And scary! I'm glad he's ok and that mommy is ok too. Sometimes I wonder who it is worse for.
OH my goodness, that is so scary! This happened to my niece while she was traveling on an international flight and it was terrifying. So glad you were able to get help quickly. And look at it this way -- now you know!
Post a Comment