Monday, July 7, 2014

Independence Day!

We intended to start our Independence Day activities early on the 3rd by going to the "Capital 4th" dress rehearsal up in DC with my parents but they weather was calling for 80% chance of thunderstorms, so we nixed that and they just came down to spend the night with us.  The next morning we woke up and made scones and cantaloupe for breakfast.  Jane requested we paint our nails, so we got festive.  
Then we went out to do a little shopping while the boys test drove cars (Aaron'g looking to replace his commuter car when it dies soon).  Next it was a stop at Sweet Frog and back home for some slip and slide action.  







Adam enjoyed manning the hose and Jane stayed in her towel most of the time because of the beautiful, cooler weather that rolled in.

I felt bad that my parents didn't get to experience any fireworks the ONE year that they are living in the nation's capital!  They had to be back to the temple at 6am the next morning for work, so they headed home after supper, but it sure was fun hanging out the whole day:)



Aaron entertained us during dinner with some 'cans of snakes', sparklers...in the light...,and colored stink bombs.  He even put one in my flowers....ha, ha...not!
Muna and Uncle David joined us (Papa was in Arkansas with his mother) and it was so nice to be together.


Afterward, Porter surprised us with an inside camp game activity complete with fake fire.
The first game was beach volleyball...
...and the second was angry bird knock down.
This is when we all parted ways and Aaron took us to Fredericksburg for fireworks.  The gorgeous weather made it SO much better than it would have been hot.  We played kickball and catch and frisbee for an hour while we waited for it to get dark and then the magic began.  It's been about 3 years since the kids have seen big fireworks so they were completely awed.  


During  the fireworks, a line from "The Star Spangled Banner" kept running through my head:  "the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air, gave proof through the night, that our flag was still there".  And then I was thinking how ironic it was that the explosions and tumult of war was what gave our forefathers hope that their freedom was still in sight, that all was not lost.  Then I thought about the war that rages today-war against the evil that people today say is good, against the truth and faith that they have laid aside.  Rather than complaining about these challenges of our day, I need to be thankful that the war is not lost, that the Lord's ways will triumph in the end.  Just because it's hard to open my mouth sometimes and uncomfortable to be in the minority doesn't mean that I shouldn't be thankful for the opportunities that Heavenly Father has given us to be a light in this darkened world.  I need to grow.  I need to have hope as our forefathers did and teach my children to have and share their faith.

2 comments:

sue said...

I'm glad you had such a wonderful fourth!

Trish and Matt said...

Liz, you look STUNNING! Seriously ... what is your secret? Five kids looks so good on you.

I'm so happy your mom and dad could be there on the fourth to celebrate with you. I'm sure being with your sweet faces meant more to them than any fireworks in DC would have.