Thursday, September 12, 2013

School Daze

The day after Labor Day means back to school around here!  And although we maybe weren't ready for summer to end, it's always exciting to get ready for the first day of school. 
  The boys had a few preparatory meetings the week before school with a new program the school is piloting.  This is the first year and they are hoping to get the whole school on board within a few years.  It has been an interesting introduction to some new teaching methods-lots of chanting and high energy activities (which sometimes makes it seem like a circus instead of a school) but they also put heavy emphasis on good manners, public speaking and students 'owning' their learning.  We have always loved this elementary school so we are trusting these innovations will pay off.
 Too much cheese Andrew!

 Only 5 more years and Leo can join the fun.
 This is what we'd like Porter to do...
 ...just stop growing up!!  It's his last year in elementary school and I think I better start mentally preparing because it's gonna take me at least this whole next year to get use to the idea of middle school.
  A happy homecoming-let's try to keep those smiles all year, okay boys?
 The 2nd...First Day:  Jane the kindergartner ready to roll!  Sweet Jane has been getting very excited to be a big kid at school, but she has also had some anxiety about not knowing everything her brothers know.  The Saturday before school she got out a math workbook after breakfast and asked if I could help her.  I said okay out of one corner of my attention and kept cleaning up the kitchen.  A couple minutes later she asked me to come over again, this time with tears in her eyes.  She was trying to fill in some numbers on a counting page, so I tried to reassure her that she was going to school to learn and she didn't need to know those counting sequences before she even started.  After drying those tears I convinced her to go play instead.  This girl worries too much!  She still talks about being nervous each morning before school, but I hope as she gets use to the routine and newness of everything that she can relax a little more.





1 comment:

sue said...

Holy Smokes man Porter's last year in elementary school!!! I can't believe Jane is big enough for school already! AT least I can pretend mine are all still babies if they stay home all day right?