Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Meaningful
The other day I was at the dentist's office for Porter to have some work done. A friend had taken Andrew for me and Jane was asleep in her carseat. As the Dentist (a woman) and her female assistant worked on Porter and casually visited, they realized I had 3 children and then asked if we were going to have more. I said yes, probably in a few years and then the dentist asked with a chuckle "Is it really that fun?" Her question took me off guard and I honestly can't even remember how I answered since there were a million things running through my head as I evaluated the 'fun-ness' of being a mom in those few seconds. And I have spent a good deal of time since then thinking about what I'd like to tell her. I remember the word 'meaningful' specifically coming to mind in those few seconds after her question. Being a wife and mother are the most meaningful things I do with my life each day. They're not always (okay...never) the most glorious, glitzy or financially profitable things I could do, but I know I will never regret how I spent my time and energy on earth. Someday everyone will know what should have been most meaningful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Don't you just love people who don't get being a mom? You do an amazing job with the most important work to be done here. By the way, that is an AWESOME cake!!!
Well Said.
Yeah, like it's really "fun" to scrape gunk off people's teeth all day. That lady is LAME! I wish I could follow you around and karate chop anyone who says rude things to you. You know I would if I wasn't so tied up here.
Post a Comment