Monday, March 31, 2014

A New Year for Aunt Rachel

Leo and I got to take a trip just after New Year's to see Aunt Rachel in Arizona.  At first the trip was planned to help with little baby Henry since Grandma and Grandpa Smyth were planned to leave on their mission just a couple weeks after his arrival in December.  Perhaps that's why he decided to come early in November (or maybe because he wanted that cool digit birthday 11-12-13).  So then it seemed like the trip would be more of a fun hang out trip.  But on New Year's Eve Rach went to the hospital.  She had pancreatitis and needed to have her gallbladder out.  So after a few days of antibiotics to get the infection under control, she had gallbladder surgery.  I arrived a few days after that, so it ended up that I could be helpful after all!  This poor girl had an awful pregnancy with severe nausea, gestational diabetes, preclampsia, and a few other complications, so following this gallbladder issue we have decided that 2014 just HAS TO BE a better year for her!

I think this was the only day we put on make-up when she had a doctor appointment, so we snapped a quick photo:)
 Sweet, sleeping Henry...I didn't do very good getting pictures of him--still in the sleepy newborn phase.
 We did a lot of sitting on the couch and talking and watching movies.  I tried to help with meals and some light cleaning since Rachel really wasn't supposed to lift anything besides Henry.  We made cauliflower cheese soup one day with this unnaturally large cauliflower that my mother grew in her garden.  


 This picture doesn't even do it justice.  We had to laugh at how big it was in comparison to Leo's baby head.  I felt so spoiled to have this entire week with my sister-it was such a treat just to be together!  What a cute mother she is and what a wonderful husband she has in Joseph.  That was the other thing I liked-getting to know Joseph a little better.  Love those Le Bel's!

Also snapped a few pics of my Mom's collage board-fun days living at home, fighting with all those brothers, but yikes, my awkward phase lasted WAY too long!!  Good times!





1 comment:

Ginger said...

Ohhh poor, poor Rachel. I experienced the same thing after Ezra was born and man oh man, it was so very painful. I hope she is feeling much better now. You are such a good sister to take care of her. I loved the younger pictures of you. You are so cute! I wish I would have known you then. I can totally see us as 10-year-old buddies.