Friday, November 19, 2010

Guilt Free

I feel liberated! Who shouldn't want to help send autistic kids to summer camp and give special gifts to the cancer recoverees? But it's so hard to know who you can trust these days! For years I have dreaded every telemarketing call-the schpeel, the second schpeel after I've already said no, the awful feeling of 'scroogeness' even tho we make donations to the Church which we know helps people better than other charities could. Over the years I've heard a tip repeatedly about asking what percentage of a donation to these telemarketed charities goes directly to their cause, but only recently did I actually start remembering to ask this question. And I have been floored by each response, usually ranging from 10-20%, the remaining 80-90% covering administrative fees and continued fund-raising. When I ask this question and then tell them I will find other ways to donate, they NEVER have a comeback, in fact they're rather sheepish about ending the conversation. And I don't have to feel so bad about saying no. I was pleasantly suprised when the local lion's club called and was selling tickets to a Christmas performance for handicapped/mentally disabled children where my whole donation went toward the kids (they operate with volunteers). I don't know why I had to write about this...I guess it's helped me feel a bit more educated about how I 'donate' money and I hope other people will know they can be guilt free also.

No comments: